What can I do if I see my co-worker being sexually harassed? Can I file a suit against it?
If you see a co-worker being sexually harassed, and the conduct offends you enough that you feel that it is creating a hostile work environment, you can file a lawsuit against it.
According to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity, “the victim [of harassment] does not have to be the person harassed, but can be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.” To be unlawful, the sexual harassment must be so severe or pervasive that it creates a work environment that is hostile, intimidating or offensive to reasonable people.
It is important to make it known to the harasser early on that their behavior is unwelcome to try to prevent it from continuing or escalating. You may also consider reporting it to your supervisor or Human Resources.
If you see a co-worker being sexually harassed and the conduct affects or offends you even though you are not the direct recipient of the unwelcome behavior, you should talk to an experienced employment attorney to help you determine your rights and how to proceed with your claim.
Other Employment Law FAQs:
- Am I entitled to overtime pay?
- Are there any restrictions on what an employer can ask me during a job interview?
- Can I get fired for reporting sexual harassment to my employer?
- Can my employer legitimately deduct anything from my paycheck?
- Can temps file discrimination lawsuits?
- How and when do you file an unlawful retaliation lawsuit?
- How do I recognize on-the-job discrimination?
- How is illegal retaliation defined?
- How to Report Sexual Harassment at Work?
- I am scared to report sexual harassment because I fear that I will be retaliated against by my employer. What should I do?
- Is my employer responsible if I am sexually harassed at a company-sponsored event outside of working hours?
- My employer yelled and cursed at me. Can I sue him or her for harassment?
- What are my rights regarding breaks and meal periods?
- What are the federal and state laws and regulations which provide legal protections for employees?
- What are the time limits for filing a sexual harassment claim?
- What can I do if I see my co-worker being sexually harassed? Can I file a suit against it?
- What is an “at will” work state?
- What proof of discrimination at work do I need to include in a discrimination complaint?
- What qualifies as sexual harassment at work?
- What should I do if I was sexually harassed?