What are my rights regarding breaks and meal periods?
As a non-exempt employee in California, you are entitled to an uninterrupted meal period of at least 30 minutes for a work shift longer than five hours and a 10 minute rest period for every four hours. If your shift is longer than ten hours, you are entitled to a second uninterrupted meal period. You are not entitled to compensation for your meal periods but you are entitled to compensation for your rest periods.
If your employer does not grant you your breaks or meal periods for a work day, s/he must pay you for an additional hour.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- According to the rules for overtime pay in California, how long do I have to file an overtime pay claim?
- Am I entitled to overtime pay?
- Are there any restrictions on what an employer can ask me during a job interview?
- Can employers assign work based on employees’ ages?
- Can I get fired for reporting sexual harassment to my employer?
- Can my employer ask about my age?
- Can my employer legitimately deduct anything from my paycheck?
- Can temps file discrimination lawsuits?
- Does an employer have to give me rest breaks?
- How and when do you file an unlawful retaliation lawsuit?
- How do I recognize on-the-job discrimination?
- How is illegal retaliation defined?
- How to Report Sexual Harassment at Work?
- I am scared to report sexual harassment because I fear that I will be retaliated against by my employer. What should I do?
- Is my employer responsible if I am sexually harassed at a company-sponsored event outside of working hours?
- My employer does not pay mileage reimbursement when I use my own car for company business. What is the California law on mileage reimbursement?
- My employer does not pay overtime pay. What is the California law on overtime pay? Am I supposed to receive overtime on my commission also?
- My employer yelled and cursed at me. Can I sue him or her for harassment?
- What are my rights regarding breaks and meal periods?
- What are the federal and state laws and regulations which provide legal protections for employees?
- What are the time limits for filing a sexual harassment claim?
- What can I do if I see my co-worker being sexually harassed? Can I file a suit against it?
- What is age discrimination? What are some examples of age discrimination?
- What is an “at will” work state?
- What is overtime in California? Does an employer have to pay me overtime and how much should they pay me?
- What is the California law for vacation pay? My employer does not want to pay me for unused vacation pay when I quit or was terminated.
- What proof of discrimination at work do I need to include in a discrimination complaint?
- What qualifies as discrimination?
- What qualifies as sexual harassment at work?
- What should I do if I was sexually harassed?