Are there any restrictions on what an employer can ask me during a job interview?
Interview questions must relate to your skills and background which are pertinent to the job position. An employer cannot ask you about any irrelevant personal details, such as your political beliefs or religious affiliation. They also cannot ask you about whether you have or ever had a disability; however, they can ask whether you are able to perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
While an employer cannot ask you whether you have ever been arrested for a crime, they can certainly ask you whether you have ever been convicted of a crime, barring few circumstances (e.g., your records are sealed or you have a marijuana conviction that took place more than two years ago).
Other Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I entitled to overtime pay?
- Are there any restrictions on what an employer can ask me during a job interview?
- Can I get fired for reporting sexual harassment to my employer?
- Can my employer legitimately deduct anything from my paycheck?
- Can temps file discrimination lawsuits?
- How and when do you file an unlawful retaliation lawsuit?
- How do I recognize on-the-job discrimination?
- How is illegal retaliation defined?
- How to Report Sexual Harassment at Work?
- I am scared to report sexual harassment because I fear that I will be retaliated against by my employer. What should I do?
- Is my employer responsible if I am sexually harassed at a company-sponsored event outside of working hours?
- My employer yelled and cursed at me. Can I sue him or her for harassment?
- What are my rights regarding breaks and meal periods?
- What are the federal and state laws and regulations which provide legal protections for employees?
- What are the time limits for filing a sexual harassment claim?
- What can I do if I see my co-worker being sexually harassed? Can I file a suit against it?
- What is an “at will” work state?
- What proof of discrimination at work do I need to include in a discrimination complaint?
- What qualifies as sexual harassment at work?
- What should I do if I was sexually harassed?